Spring 2017 Fashion DIY
On a recent segment of The Marilyn Denis Show, I saw three really clever ways to incorporate some of the latest spring 2017 trends without making a huge investment on trendy pieces.
“…Staying on top of the ever-evolving trends can be both exhausting and expensive. Few of us have the resources to change our wardrobe as much as the stores swap out styles, but a few easy projects will have you looking totally fresh for spring with these trendy and affordable DIYs…”
Our favourite look at HomeLove was “…The Cold Shoulder Dress Shirt”:
- Mens’ buttoned shirt
- Iron & ironing board (optional)
- Elastic band
- Sewing machine/needle & matching
- Lay the shirt on a flat surface and cut a straight line across the shoulders.
- Optional: turn the cut edge inwards about a ¼” and iron down if you want a clean hem (you won’t see this part.)
- Measure an elastic band around your shoulders and cut it about an inch longer. Sew the 1 inch overlap down with a couple zig zag stitches on a sewing machine or hand sew until it forms a circle. It doesn’t have to be pretty – just sturdy!
- Mark the halfway point of your elastic circle with a marker, and then the quarter points. Lay the elastic on the inside edge of the shirt and pin these four points to the front, back, and two sides of the shirt. It’s okay if the shirt is wider than the elastic.
- Sew the top of the elastic to the top of the shirt, pulling on the elastic as you go around.
- Fold the elastic inside the shirt and sew vertically along the elastic at any shirt seams. This will hold the elastic down into place without having to sew all the way around again.
What to Wear it With
Shirt, H&M, $19.99
Necklace, H&M, $19.99
Bag, H&M, $19.99
Vintage Belt, Stylists own
Pants, ZARA, $49.90
Shoes, ZARA, $69.90″
To see the whole clip, complete with the three looks, please watch the video here.